Development of researchers mobility policy guidelines for the region of Western Balkans - 2005-2007

Homepage Legislation reviewLegislation review for incoming mobility in Serbia
Legislation review for incoming mobility in Serbia


Incoming mobility of researchers in Serbia is influenced by a number of factors:

  • administrative obstacles (the process of obtaining residence and work permits, recognition of degrees),
  • ongoing reform of educational system (unresolved issues remain),
  • lack of attractive research opportunities due to the low researchers’ salaries and the lack of English language courses at Universities,
  • low awareness about the importance of foreign researchers’ inflow.

The Employment of Foreigners

According to the Law on Employment of Foreigners, prerequisites for foreigner’s employment are residence and work permit. The only exceptions where a foreigner can be employed without obtaining work permit are the cases when a foreigner has a resident permit and plans to engage in specific activities that involve “performing professional activities as stipulated in the technology-business cooperation contract, long-term production cooperation contract, or technology transfer contract.”

National Employment Office issues work permit to the foreigner on his request (if he has permanent residence permit), or on employer’s request (if the foreigner has temporary residence permit). Work permit can be issued for the period that is specified on residence permit.

If the Employment Office has unemployed local residents on its waiting list, that have the same qualifications as the foreigner who applied for the specific job position, then local residents have the priority in this employment process.

In order to continue working after the work permit expires, foreigner needs to extend resident permit and obtain new work permit.

Analyses and explanations of the issues related to the legislation on employment of foreigners available only in Serbian at URL:

Recognition of Academic Degrees

The recognition of foreign higher education qualifications is done by Council of the faculty competent for specific education area; if an institution competent for specific area doesn’t exist then University recognizes foreign higher education qualifications. Procedure should take up to 30 days, but in some cases it takes 60-75 days (usually Faculty receives the documents, forms a Commission that writes a report for the Council; Council makes the decision; this decision is then forwarded to, and has to be approved by University).National ENIC/NARIC office for recognition of academic and professional qualification URL:

Law on Higher Education - English version can be downloaded from

Legal Framework of R&D

Law on Scientific Research (available only in Serbian)

International Cooperation

Department of International Research and Technology Cooperation of Ministry of Science and Environmental Protection is in charge with following issues:

  • Bilateral and multilateral international cooperation in the field of science and technology,
  • EU Projects in the field of science and technology,
  • Cooperation with organizations and agencies of UN system,
  • Cooperation with foreign governmental and nongovernmental scientific organizations,
  • Cooperation with expatriate-experts,
  • Preparation of international cooperation programs, and
  • Preparation of contracts, agreements, and legal acts related to international research and technology cooperation.

Department of International Research and Technology Cooperation gives information on activities under COST (Cooperation in the Field of Scientific and Technical Research) and EUREKA programme. In addition, it has set up a system of National Contact Points to inform and assist potential partners in FP6 projects (Sixth Framework Programme).



WEB-MOB project is an
INCO FP6 project supported by
the European Commission

Development of researchers mobility policy guidelines for the region of Western Balkans - 2005-2007